Thursday, November 8, 2012

Man down!

My three year old was running in the parking lot at school this morning.  I called out to him to walk and to come back to me.  I started my 1-2-3 countdown but he wasn't listening. I jogged up to him and when I went to grab his coat sleeve, he tripped and smacked his head into the pavement.  Holy crap did I freak out!  There was a small cut on his forehead right above the eye and it was bleeding like mad.  I panicked and ran him back to the van, cradling him in my arms.  He looked pretty bad from the blood and scratches, but overall wasn't seriously injured.  I decided to take him him into the school to clean him up.  The principal thought at first he had written marker all over his face but quickly sprung into action when she realized what had happened.

I got him cleaned up, put a bandaid on his cut and asked him if he wanted to go to his class.  He said yes, so we headed into the hallway.  And guess what folks, this little boy started RUNNING to the classroom.  I guess he hasn't yet correlated running = falling and getting hurt.  The teacher gave him a hug and the social worker made sure he was okay too.

As I was leaving the school, I was worried that I made the wrong decision by having him stay.  But I also thought to myself this was natural consequences for running when he was told to walk (but having said that, I don't think he really learned anything).  He didn't seem to be unhappy about staying.  I'm sure the teacher will call me if there is any issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment